30 cube 6th order?

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Ok, so I've been doing some thinking. Below the window line in the back, I have 34 cubic feet with both seats pushed all the way back and at my normal angle. That's way more room than I need for two 18's. I saw this and it got me interested: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-...-designs-6th-order-aq-hdc3-0-single-10-a.html

35mjn8x.jpg

@Buck; designed it and apparently it turned out really good :)
He hasn't been on in about a year though. Who else could design something like this?

DD recommends 6.5 cubes for 18" Z's in ported boxes. I'd say I could maybe squeeze 30 cubes of actual airspace out of a 6th order. I'd just like to be able to play 25-70 hz with authority.

If anybody has experience with 6th's or knows somebody who does, would I have enough room for one?

If you don't have experience with 6th's I would not go building a 30 cube box. There are so many variables, it's insane. You have 2 12's right now and are reconing into 18's right? If you want to mess with a 6th, build it for one of your 12's. Make the box easy to disassemble so you can adjust it. If you are happy with it, scale it up to fit 2 18's. I would personally go with a 4th order though. Pretty straight forward and I think you know what they can do.

That's crazy. Like a box in a box.
Yup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you don't have experience with 6th's I would not go building a 30 cube box. There are so many variables, it's insane. You have 2 12's right now and are reconing into 18's right? If you want to mess with a 6th, build it for one of your 12's. Make the box easy to disassemble so you can adjust it. If you are happy with it, scale it up to fit 2 18's. I would personally go with a 4th order though. Pretty straight forward and I think you know what they can do.
That's a good idea. I'll practice building boxes with the 12's and see what ratios I like. It'll all just scale up, correct?

Like say I do a box where one chamber is 3 cubes and the other is 5 cubes. If I just make the next one 6 and 10 cubes, will it be tuned the same if I increase the port area and length by the same factor?

The bandwidth was amazing on this 6th we did. Team mate is really good with 6th orders. I loved it.
Awesome! Any more details? Who designed it? Any design tips?

Yup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

That's a good idea. I'll practice building boxes with the 12's and see what ratios I like. It'll all just scale up, correct?

Like say I do a box where one chamber is 3 cubes and the other is 5 cubes. If I just make the next one 6 and 10 cubes, will it be tuned the same if I increase the port area and length by the same factor?

Awesome! Any more details? Who designed it? Any design tips?

It was designed and built by Jason Medlock. I don't have any tips for you as I'm still new and learning about building 4ths and 6th orders and I was at work when this one was being built.

It was designed and built by Jason Medlock. I don't have any tips for you as I'm still new and learning about building 4ths and 6th orders and I was at work when this one was being built.
Do you know how much he charges for a design and what his contact information is?

[quote name='hispls']If you do attempt this, keep a tab on how much money you blow on materials before you realize it's never going to sound good and just build a ported wall.[/QUOTE]

awwwww... there's something to be said for having fun with something like this imo. @mlstrass; sounded really good with his...

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

and holy god was it loud lol.

I'm going to use 2x4's for the port. I'll just add or subtract them to change tuning. I just need to decide on my internal volumes for both chambers.

Total I've spent $110 on wood so far

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.