DSP questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
Couple of questions on crossovers and limiter function. I have the limiter running on my subwoofer and midbass speakers. It functions well and limits the voltage going to the amps when I hit clipping volume, but it seems to actually change the sound of the sub and midbass speakers all the time when I have the limiter turned on, not just when I hit clipping. It’s audible when I turn it off and on. Is this because I have a cheap DSP, or is this how it is supposed fo function? Is it limiting frequencies in a cascading way based on frequencies? Not quite sure how this function fully works. On my crossovers, it seems to sound better when I overlap them a bit. My subs is low passed at 65 Hz and my midbass is band passed from 55 hz to 4000 hz, overlapping a bit with the sub. I did the same with my tweeters. They are high passed at 3750 hz, overlapping the tweeters a little bit. How are you guys setting up your crossovers? Are you using Linkwitz Riley or Butterworth? What’s the difference between the 2?

What DSP u runnin? Im not familiar with a limiter function but maybe its creating a phase shift
A PRV cheapo. Seems to work ok, but I’m not sure how the limiter actually functions. My max volume is set at 38 on my head unit, without the limiter I run into audible clipping on my sub immediately at volume 39. With the limiter turned on, I can go over 40 on the volume, the limiter kicks in and does actually prevents my sub from going into clipping. It just seems to start limiting some frequencies before it actually needs to. At around volume level 35 I seem to be able to hear some of the higher bass frequencies diminish a slight bit. It has attack and release settings that I’m not sure how to use, so it’s just on auto-mode.

just set your gains right and dont use the limiter. test tones are at the very bottom...

fwiw, i use 12 db slopes. 80 for sub/mids, 3.2k for mids/tweets

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...