Hifonics Brutus vs Fosgate p500-1bd

ArrizX
10+ year member

Scout 800 owner.
So I just bought on craigslist a Hifonics 1200 @ 1 amp. Dude I got it from had it on an AQ 18. Impressive videos on youtube up it. I bought it with out powering it up.

I powered it up to make sure it worked and sold my p500 that I had about 30 seconds after that. Then we finished hooking and setting it up and man does this amp ****.

To get any volume out of it at all I need to be at +15 on the subwoofer level. I got the same volume out of my sub on the p500 at -1 on the head unit. Gain is set just over half, not using any of the bass boost stuff.

I got the amp because I had just bought a Sundown sa-15 but the way its powering this current temporary sub it does not seem like it will do **** on this sundown.

What do I do? It works fine just doesnt seem as powerful. Do I need to just buy a real amp that actually does rated or what?

Don't laugh or judge but I sold my four 10s so currently I am running a single 4 pioneer premier sub. rms on the p500 is 200 @ 4 and the hifonics is over double at 450 @ 4. I literally hooked it up and have half the output. Not sure what the deal is?

You should have stepped up to a P1000. You can find it used for $175-200. I just sold one for $220 but I see them for sale for $200 all the time.

You just got your first lesson in quality sub amps. 500w of RF > 1200w of HiFonincs
^This^

...OP, what? did you just think the high cost associated with RF was just for some mythical idea or name..There is a reason the P500-1Bd costs twice as much as the BRZ...and it has nothing to do with myth.....u should hear what the p1500-1Bd can do.

So I just bought on craigslist a Hifonics 1200 @ 1 amp. Dude I got it from had it on an AQ 18. Impressive videos on youtube up it. I bought it with out powering it up.
I powered it up to make sure it worked and sold my p500 that I had about 30 seconds after that. Then we finished hooking and setting it up and man does this amp ****.

To get any volume out of it at all I need to be at +15 on the subwoofer level. I got the same volume out of my sub on the p500 at -1 on the head unit. Gain is set just over half, not using any of the bass boost stuff.

I got the amp because I had just bought a Sundown sa-15 but the way its powering this current temporary sub it does not seem like it will do **** on this sundown.

What do I do? It works fine just doesnt seem as powerful. Do I need to just buy a real amp that actually does rated or what?

Don't laugh or judge but I sold my four 10s so currently I am running a single 4 pioneer premier sub. rms on the p500 is 200 @ 4 and the hifonics is over double at 450 @ 4. I literally hooked it up and have half the output. Not sure what the deal is?

You obviously know what you are doing , but I have to ask..have you checked the Low Pass Filter, the subsonic Filter..maybe tried moving the bass boost just off of the bottom?..I ask because I have seen the BRZ have a scratchy sound, like a short when you move the bass boost. Even had to throw away the remote on a couple of them. You really have to understand too, that the RF is designed to allow dynamic headroom and it has better specs overall than the Hifonics. It is not necessarily the quantity of power but the quality. As far as the difference between 200 watts and 400 watts, what? +3db...a slight increase in perceived volume?...nothing major..now toss in + 3 db of dynamic headroom on the RF....*shrugz*...just my .2

Well thanks for the replies. I have never used a hifonics before but I know lots of people do which is the reason for the switch.

So now here is what I think, **** this amp.

Should I rebuy the p500 or buy a p1000? I feel like if I had that p1000 I would not have gotten the sa-15 that is rated to 600. Although I was researching and they say its good up to a 1000watts daily, more if you know what youre doing. But like I said I think I would have gotten a different sub. Like an IA death row. I have not even got my sa-15 in the mail yet lol

Can the sa-15 handle a p1000?

op your sub level should be at max to begin with and depending on your preout voltage halfway doesn't sound too bad for 2v outs. As stated you should have went with the t10001 or a t1500

Well thanks for the replies. I have never used a hifonics before but I know lots of people do which is the reason for the switch.
So now here is what I think, **** this amp.

Should I rebuy the p500 or buy a p1000? I feel like if I had that p1000 I would not have gotten the sa-15 that is rated to 600. Although I was researching and they say its good up to a 1000watts daily, more if you know what youre doing. But like I said I think I would have gotten a different sub. Like an IA death row. I have not even got my sa-15 in the mail yet lol

Can the sa-15 handle a p1000?
there are a lot of good amps, does not have to be a fosgate, sa's are fine on 1k

AQ750 Amplifier

Mmats Audio m1000.1d | eBay

tis is a much better amp than the fosgate american made in florida and small footprint and very underrated

MMATS Amplifier Class D D1600.0 1ohm stable | eBay

new and way better than fosgate

MMATS Amplifier Class D D1600.0 1ohm stable | eBay

SAZ-1000D SUNDOWN AUDIO AMP MONOBLOCK CLASS D 2000W MAX SUB SUBOOFER AMPLIFIER | eBay

for 300 bucks these are all better options than the rf punch1000 with the mmats being the best by far, effecient small and powerful american made. and that d1600.1 is a steal at 300

Well im having a hard time not getting those but I should wait. thanks for the advice on them.

What will the hifonics resell for? and where should I try ? im already convinced I am getting rid of it now.

could you explain a little why those are better then the rockford? not that I dont believe you I am just curious.

rockfords newr stuff is not mad in america anymore, you are paying a lot for the name and for the advertising, where mmats you are paying for workmanship and parts. The amps are still entirely made in the us and are just a better made amp. I had a mmats d800.1 and direct swaped it out for a jl600 and it destroyed the jl and the jl is rated at 600rms where the mmats was at 550. trust me, get the d1600.1 and you will be extrmely happy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.