No screws?

I have built many enclosures with just glue and clamps...and they are doing just fine many years later.

the only real downside is the build time is increased quite a bit as you go through several glue/clamp/dry/repeat cycles....if you use brads or screws you can assemble the entire thing in one session.

I always like to use mechanical fasteners as well as glue. Nail gun is easiest, screws do the job as well. Also take pics as you go.
Pics coming soon. Keep in mind it's my 2nd attempt. Ever. My first one (built a few months back) was garbage, had to seal all sorts of gaps, but worked.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I always like to use mechanical fasteners as well as glue. Nail gun is easiest, screws do the job as well. Also take pics as you go.
Decided to go ahead and use screws. For ease, and peace of mind.

make sure to predrill the holes and go 1 1/2 to 2inches in from the corners to avoid splitting
Found that out after seeing all the bowed spots in my last one, lol.... But thanx, man.

Found that out after seeing all the bowed spots in my last one, lol.... But thanx, man.
For the record it doesn't happen if you use real plywood and not MDF //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

Ply wood will still split lol.

There was a guy on SSA from Europe some years ago that did 100% screwless/nailless boxes.. they were nuts

Nothing like building an enclosure on your kitchen table at 1 in the morning, lol....

IMG_20120722_005004.jpg

First joint.

IMG_20120722_012620.jpg

We'll see how far I get tonight...

It is better to Countersink for the screws, then come back with wood filler to cover and sand down to a smooth finish..:santa:Silicone the entire inside of every joint,and out what I like to do

Soooo. I seem to have lost the drill bit that I needed to pre-drill for the screws.... so what the he11? Lets go all glue.

Here are the sides being clamped.

IMG_20120722_030720.jpg

and another view...

IMG_20120722_030900.jpg

I only have two clamps, so I went ahead put those going front/rear and placed 70 lb dumbells on top of a couple panels (what will be the top panel and one of the front baffles) to secure the sides to the bottom piece. This glue is fantastic, btw.. It says that you can remove clamps after 30 mins, but I went ahead and gave it 2 hours before removing them, after joining the rear panel and bottom. The joint was rock solid.

Here's a pic of the corner.

IMG_20120722_030751.jpg

Cuts didn't turn out horrible for using my old sub box as a table to saw on, on the back porch. I just clamped a straight piece of wood to the panel i was cutting and positioned it as a guide for what ever cut I needed to make with my circular saw. Had to use a sanding block to smooth out a couple spots, but other than that, not shabby.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.