Seeking advice on upgrading stock system

Xanazan

ND
I am new to the whole car audio world, so I have a few questions.

First off, I have a 2002 Grand Am SE with the stock stereo and speakers (not Monsoon version). There are 2 rear speakers (6x9), 2 front speakers (4x6) and 2 one inch tweeters up front that are connected to the 4x6's. When I listen to music in my car, I rarely have the volume higher than 1/3 of the way up.

When I do end up replacing the stock system, I would most likely not get a sub at first. If I did get a sub, it would be some powered sub unit.

Now if I were to get a head unit that put out 20watts RMS on 4 channels, along with upgraded front and rear speakers, would I benefit from an amp? I am not looking for loudness, just a general improvement in quality. If I would get an amp, would it have to be a 4-channel, and then run one channel to each speaker, or what?

Also, are component speakers better? Opinions, thoughts, whatever

TLDR; Would an amp be necessary to have an improvement in sound with upgraded speakers that could handle say 70 watts RMS paired with a head unit that put out 20 RMS? -going for increased quality, not loudness

i used to have a 2000 grand am se and had a ton of different systems in it.

generally a good set of component speakers are better as you have the ability to adjust the crossovers etc, and also can move the tweeter to wherever you want.

i would get rid of that head unit(stock), mine took a crap after a few years, stopped reading cds. personally if your not going for loudness, i would for with just a NICE head unit, and some really nice speakers. i never liked 4x6's, i felt they never reproduced the bass very well. i would go with some 6 1/2's and either cut the whole in the door out bigger, or use some type of adapter plate.

if your on a budget, the walmart sony speakers sony really good for the price, i run them right now in my current set up, but of course i im not big on SQ, so im not too picky about the way they sound. but they have good bass response, and the tweeters sound pretty good, but can be ear piercing @ times.

so no you don't need an amp to get better sound quality, especially since you only turn up the volume 1/3, you should be fine with a nice head unit.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Any suggestions on a "nice" head unit? And would 6x9's do a lil better for bass than the 4x6s?

I would get a set of 6.5 components and a nice 4 channel, as for nice HUs there are alot of good ones just look into Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer and Clarion and find one that has all the features you're looking for at a price you're willing to pay. Since you said you don't want a sub right now I would get a pair of these Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer and run them infinite baffle in the rear deck it should do a nice job of filling in the lowend.

You will really help your sound quality if you properly seal and deaden your doors and rear deck if you want to run some IB subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.