wire and amp problems

Participant count
  • Participant list
Good day, a buddy of mine connected his amp in his car, he put a switch on his earth cable(8guage) running from the battery, the live is running straight to the amp(8guage).....but the problem is that the connection where the switch is keeps on getting extremely hot even though no music are being played....now I would like to know what you guys think the problem could be? Its not a big amp 200rms(class ab) and it worked well before until recently...the amp goes on, the fuses (it takes 30a x 2) are all good....but what problems could occur throw such connections? Could the amp still be damaged? we haven't checked if the amp is working normal yet

What brand and model number amp?

Why did he put a switch in the ground connection?

He should have just used the amp's REM input if he wanted a manual switch for it.

The switch he used is probably way underrated for the amount of current the amp is drawing. Class A/B amps draw current even when no music is playing.

He need to take that switch out of his ground circuit and use the REMOTE input on the amp to switch it on and off.

I'd upgrade your wiring too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif You very well could be reaching the safe limits of that 8 gauge depending on overall length & quality / strand count of it

Good day, a buddy of mine connected his amp in his car, he put a switch on his earth cable(8guage) running from the battery, the live is running straight to the amp(8guage).....but the problem is that the connection where the switch is keeps on getting extremely hot even though no music are being played....now I would like to know what you guys think the problem could be? Its not a big amp 200rms(class ab) and it worked well before until recently...the amp goes on, the fuses (it takes 30a x 2) are all good....but what problems could occur throw such connections? Could the amp still be damaged? we haven't checked if the amp is working normal yet
Any amp will draw some current when the internal power supply is running, even with no audio. It sounds like the switch he's using is having issues. But the guys before are right - you should NOT be switching the power wires, especially the ground. There are likely other paths to ground that the current could take when the switch is off, like through RCA cables to the source. Those currents could hurt whatever the amp is connected to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.